Safe Medications During Pregnancy
Pain, fever, Headache
- Tylenol 650-1000 mg. Every 4 hours as needed.
- DO NOT use products that contain Aspirin or Ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin, Motrin).
- Call office if fever persist for over 24 hours or goes above 101.
- Call office if severe headache, blurry vision, spots before eyes or swelling in both your face, hands and feet.
Nasal congestion/Sinus congestion
- Sudafed 30-60 mg every 4-6 hours. Avoid during breastfeeding.
- Benadryl, Vicks vapor rub, Chlortrimetron, Tylenol cold/sinus.
- Drixoral every 6-8 hours as needed.
- Afrin 12 hours nasal spray at bedtime. Not more than three days in a row.
- DO NOT drive if medication makes you sleepy.
- Benadryl 25 mg. Every 6-8 hours.
- Claritan daily. (Not Claritan D)
- Zyrtec 10 mg. daily.
- Short-acting bronchodilators appear to be safe during pregnancy. They include albuterol (Proventil®, Ventolin®), metaproterenol (Alupent®)
- A variety of inhaled glucocorticoids have been used during pregnancy. Budesonide is thought to be one of the safest inhaled glucocorticoids. Beclomethasone has also been used extensively during pregnancy.
- If having shortness of breath or difficulty breathing go to Emergency Room at Hospital.
- Robitussin DM 2-4 teaspoons every 4-6 hours as needed.
- Dextromethoraphan every 4-6 hours as needed.
- Add sudafed if your nose is dripping.
- Any sore throat or cough lozenge is okay.
- Call office if coughing up yellow phlegm with a fever or shortness of breath.
- Benadryl 25mg every 6 hours, moisturizer or caladryl lotion.
- No Driving Benadryl may make you sleepy.
- Drink more water.
- Fiber products: Metamucil, Citracel, Fibercon, Benefiber.
- Stool softeners: Colace one tablet 2-3 times a day
- Pericolace one tablet 1-3 times a day
- Senekot one tablet 1-3 times a day (more stimulation)
- Castor oil, mild of magnesia, ex-lax, correctal, Miralax
- Fleets enema okay
- Immodium liquid or capsules as directed on the box. May use after 24 hours of diarrhea. (NOT Kaopectate)
- Avoid spicy foods, soda, caffeine.
- Avoid lying down 1-2 hours after eating.
- Tums, Maalox, Mylicon 80 mg. One chewable tablet after meals and at bedtime.
- Gas-Ex one chewable tablet after meals and at bedtime.
- Tums EX or Ultra. One to two tablets at a time. Max: 8 per day.
- Mylanta or Maalox. Take as directed on bottle. Better choice if already burning
- Zantac 75 mg. After meals and bedtime. Great drug to prevent heartburn.
- Pepcid AC for heartburn after eating.
- Dramamine or Immitrol as directed on package.
- Dry toast, crackers or chips
- Small meals instead of three large regular meals a day.
- Benadryl 25-50mg. one hour before bedtime.
- Tylenol PM, Unisom, Chamomile tea, melatonin, hot bath.
- Anusol cream, tucks pads.
- 3 day product like Monistat 3. Insert into vagina at any time in pregnancy.
DO NOT USE THESE PRODUCTS
- Excedrin, Kaopectate, Nyquil, Pepto-bismol.
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Nuprin, Motrin)